In the Iyengar method, both locally and nationally, candidates start first as a student. When offered, Yoga St. Louis Teacher Training is a two-year course with a major focus on pedagogy. Certificates are not issued locally, but only by the Iyengar Yoga National Association of the United States (IYNAUS) after further study and testing.
Yoga St. Louis Teacher Training candidates are expected to:
- maintain a daily practice that includes all the poses in ‘Yoga in Action: Preliminary Course’
- study continually at Yoga St. Louis for at least three years
- attend the Asana II course for at least one year
- demonstrate maturity and skill in the practice of Iyengar yoga
- have a strong desire to serve the community
After beginning to assist in class during Teacher Training, graduates are expected to teach for at least a year at Yoga St. Louis prior to joining an IYNAUS approved yoga teacher assessment training program.
For further details on assessment training leading to national teacher certification, visit IYNAUS.org. Yoga St. Louis teachers help assessment candidates sharpen their presentation skills through the completion of the national assessment exam, a process that can take 2-4 years.